Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Who YOU callin' lazy?

I know I haven't posted anything. You don't have to keep reminding me. I promised I'd post before we leave, so here goes.

Two months - intense experiences, and now leaving is simply bitter-sweet. I just cried buckets of tears saying goodbye to Alice, this old lady I work with. I'm going to miss the people here so much. It's amazing getting to know people from all over the world - the Uzbeks, Irish, English, Columbians, Russians... Awesome people.

Still, I'm looking forward to travelling to Philly, Chicago and NY. And of course, back to Singapore, land of abundant Oh lua, Roti Prata and other yummies. The food here - gosh, all the pizzas, burgers, fries, cheesesteaks - was good the first couple of weeks. After that it was just plain overkill. Too darn fattening. You know, there's this particular game over here at Morey's that goes like this: the guy just collects your US$3, tries to guess your age, weight and birthday, and if he doesn't get it right, you win a prize. This dear Egyptian guy who was tending to the stall guessed that I was 65kg. 65 freakin' kg. Can I like faint now? Well at least he said he was not familar with the kg system.

Anyway. I've been pretty busy around here (And hence the lack of blogging). You see, contrary to popular belief, I'm not such a sloth, who just lazes around and falls asleep everywhere. We've been kept busy with all the cooking and cleaning and doing of laundry. You CANNOT imagine the agony of waking up in the morning, with the knowledge that there is absolutely nothing in the fridge to eat, or that whatever is in there is most likely raw meat. Believe me, you'd want to stay in bed all day.

So. We embarked on a tremendous domesticating journey.

For starters, we can now whip up a dish in minutes.

The secret to good cooking? Use corn beef. ALWAYS use corn beef.

Oh wait. I forgot to tell you about our grocery shopping. Always on the look out for a bargain, I can now say that I'm proud member of Superfresh, Acme Markets, Stop & Shop, and CVS Pharmacy.

So you see, amidst our hectic work schedules, we still had to find time to shop for food, cook food, then eat food. Life wasn't all that easy. And after a hard day's work, what greets us is a stack load of dirty laundry - which is often dealt with in the wee hours of the night.


Fascinating things, these washing machines.

So good job, Mel and Shireen. Worked, travelled, domesticated.


I will try my best to blog again.

6 Comments:

Blogger Reenie said...

hey melt! good job! hee. even better than me with the pictures. at least there's variety in the layout haha. everyone, let it be known that melt makes a sexy pirate girl!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey melt! in the last pic ur forehead looks reeeaally oily and shiny.......

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am deeply insulted and outraged by your scathing attack on my fellow egyptian. I simply cannot comprehend why you feel the need to highlight the innocent man's ethnicity as you mock his incompetence in the plain task of weight guessing. It is obvious that you bear a deep feeling of resentment against us arabs and middle easterns but you truly have taken it too far by publishing these derogatory and discriminative comments on the world wide web. It is extremely unfortunate that in this day and age, bigots such as yourself do still exist and shockingly parade these racist ideals in public. You even have the audacity to use the word "freak" in the sentence directly following your introduction of my poor brethren. What exactly are you trying to imply??? Are we all freaks to you? Or are we all terrorists? Is that it? Well miss melt, i condemn you and your racist entry and i sincerely hope that you may be more sensitive to the feelings of others in future.

P.S. Looking at your pictures, i'd say 65kg is a pretty good guess.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mido,

Melt isn't particularly racist. I know from my interactions with her that she's awfully sweet and accepting towards other cultures and races.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for myself. I nurse a savage and naked malice against your kind. Why the hell do you have such large beards, if you're going to be mummified eventually? Save the coroner the trouble and shave. Why is your omnipotent God a monodirectional one? More importantly, does he have a beard too? All you camel humpers make me sick. I hope you realize that the water vapor from the lungs of swine permeates our ecospace, so merely abstaining from consuming pork is counter-intuitive to what your doctrine teaches. My suggestion is that you either wash yourselves clean, or stop breathing.

Yes, you are all freaks to me.

Yes, you are all terrorists.

K.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey darlings ,

Please beware there's a copycat which attempts itself at being suave when posting comments ..

Unfortunately , the copycat is rewarded by being naive at least and narcissistic at best .. Ignore such comments ..

You darlings are doing a fantastic job over there .. Keep having fun and remember to take care of yourself .. Muacks Muacks

10:39 AM  
Blogger joyce unkhoo said...

thank the lord for the invention of corned beef, is what i say.
lydia and i survived on it too hahaha.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home